First things first...Please enter my CUSTOM FLIP FLOPS giveaway!
I originally got this recipe out of Disney's Family Fun Magazine. It is now my FAVORITE complex-carb side dish! If you like black beans and sweet-potatoes, you'll be surprised at how well these two flavors mix.
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 Large Onion, Chopped
1 tbsp Chili Powder (I had to make my own, see below)
1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
2 Cups of Vegetable or Chicken Stock
2 Medium Sweet Potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1-14 1/2oz can Diced Tomatoes in Juice
2-15 1/2oz cans Organic Black Beans, drained and rinsed
Salt and Pepper
Recipe for Chili Powder
Mix all the following in a small bowl.
1 tsp. Paprika
2 tsps. Ground Cumin
1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp. Oregano
2 tsps. Garlic Powder
1. Heat oil in large saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat.
2. Add onion and cook, stirring often until soft, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in chili powder and cumin, then add broth and potatoes. Stir well to combine.
4. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 15 minutes, until potatoes are almost tender.
5. Add tomatoes and beans and continue to simmer, uncovered, until heated through and slightly thickened, about 15 minutes more.
If you are not on my No-Fun Diet, top with sour cream!
What kind of different chili do you make?